Eating healthy is often seen as expensive, a struggle, and time consuming. The first time I tried to make weight at Finweight (-101.4 lbs) to fight in, I hated it. My diet was full of food I didn’t want to eat that I saw as tasteless and unappetizing. Now- 5 years later, I’ve learned and compiled a huge list of food that I not only love, but also helps me stay on weight. Below are some of my favorite breakfast food ideas. If you’d like some lunch & dinner recipes, leave me a comment!
Banana Egg Pancakes
When I first heard about this recipe, I was ecstatic 😀 Pancakes can be nutritious, healthy AND not make me gain weight?!? These are so easy to make, they taste great, and they are high on protein while low on calories.
– 1 banana
– 2 Eggs
– Cinnamon (Optional)
– Nutmeg (Optional)
– Oat Flour (Optional)
– Almond Butter
You take your banana and mush it up with a fork in a bowl. Then you take the eggs, crack them into the bowl, and mix it all up. That’s your mix! Sometimes, I’ll also put the banana and eggs straight into a smoothie blender so it all gets mixed up for me. You can also add the optional ingredients here. I often use cinnamon for taste or even some oat flour (blended oatmeal) to give it some more consistency. This really depends on if I’m eating them just for breakfast or after a workout.
If you’re really wanting to be creative, you can even add blue berries into the mix before you toss them on the frying pan. Put your pan on medium, I use a nonstick pan so I don’t tend to need oil, but if not, a little bit of olive oil works great.
Make sure they’re cooked all the way through and serve them on a plate. You can add some of the optional toppings to make them taste even better, but usually I’ll eat them plain or with a small amount of honey. Tada! You have a delicious pancake breakfast 🙂
Almond Milk & Granola
Okay, so maybe this isn’t a “recipe,” but it’s a quick breakfast when I’m rushing out the door and want some healthy carbs for the morning. I use Simple Truth almond milk and Mamma Chia Granola. Mamma Chia’s granola is my absolute favorite brand of granola- it’s filled with protein, Omega-3s, fiber, and is delicious! I prefer the blueberry one, but they’re all amazing. Just pour the milk and granola in a bowl, add some fresh fruit (bananas & raspberries are my favorite), and enjoy!
I made up this recipe out of random ingredients I had in my fridge. It takes a little longer than the others, but is SO worth it.
– Ground Turkey Breast
– Gouda Cheese
– Salt/Pepper/Cumin to taste
1. Cook the ground turkey in a pan. I usually do this on medium, add salt and cumin to raise the flavor, and stir until it is fully cooked. When done, place the turkey on a plate.
2. Mush up some avocado. I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 of an avocado. Add salt to taste. Place on top of the turkey.
3. Place a slice of the gouda cheese on top of the avocado. Easy step!
4. Poach an egg. This has got to be the trickiest part of the whole meal to keep the yolk runny. Here’s how I do it: I fill up a pan with some water, when it’s boiling I crack an egg and drop it in. Once it’s cooked a bit, I use a spoon to pour some of the hot water on top of the egg. Wait until it’s cooked (but not too long so you can have a runny yolk.) I like poached eggs as they’re similar to fried eggs, but no oil!
5. Place the egg on the top of the gouda cheese. Add some salt to taste and- Enjoy!
My Version of Avocado Toast
Another simple and easy recipe that’s also delicious 🙂 I love using Queso Fresco (the Cacique Ranchero kind is my favorite) on top of this avocado toast.
– Whole Grain Bread (I use Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds)
– 1/2 Avocado
– Queso Fresco
1. Toast a piece of the whole wheat bread.
2. Mush up avocado, add salt. Place on top of the toast.
3. Slice up some Queso Fresco and place it on top. Enjoy!
This recipe does take some time (you have to prepare it overnight), but that means it’s ready to go in the morning with no morning prep needed!
– 1 cup of Almond Milk
– 1/4 cup of Chia Seeds
– Fresh Fruit (I like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, strawberries, etc)
– Cinnamon (optional)
1. Pour some chia seeds & almond milk in a mason jar. If you don’t have a mason jar or something with a lid, I just use a glass and plastic wrap the top. Keep in mind the chia seeds will expand overnight so there should be more almond milk than chia.
2. Mix in the honey, cinnamon, and fruit.
3. Close it up with the lid and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Enjoy in the morning!
This is just an extra one, but I love pairing some of the above recipes with smoothies! One of my favorites is the My Favorite Green Smoothie that I did on a previous blog post. Some other quick recipes are: Banana+Almond Milk, Strawberry+Almond Milk, Mango+Papaya.
Don’t forget to leave me a comment below if you’d like me to do a blog post for lunch and/or dinner recipes! If you have any great recipe ideas, leave them below as well- I’d love to try them out!! 😀
Best wishes to your healthy eating 🙂